Sifnos Island Cooperative
Involved Regions: Sifnos
Number of Members: 100
Involved RES Sectors: Wind, Hydropower
Sifnos Island Cooperative (SIC), following a thorough research, is advancing towards realization of the energy autonomy plan for Sifnos, by submitting in September 2016 an application for a production permit to the Regulatory Energy Authority (RAE). SIC’s project refers to a Hybrid Power Station consisting of a wind park and a pumped storage plant. It is foreseen to have the capacity to generate all the energy required in Sifnos through only Renewable Energy Sources (RES). All new facilities to be installed, will become a key objective of protecting the environment and the tourism product of the island, which is expected to increase.
According to the conducted study, the investment will be profitable from the first year of operation of the Hybrid Station and will continue to be profitable throughout, as the energy demand is secured. The Hybrid Station will be owned by Sifnos Island Cooperative, in which all major decisions are made by the General Assembly, equal members of which are all partners with one vote each. The vision is to make Sifnos energy autonomous by utilizing its inexhaustible RES, thus, shielding the society and economy of the island.
The electricity will be generated from RES installations jointly owned by the inhabitants and the friends of the island who will be prosumers (producers and consumers at the same time).In order to turn the vision into reality, the following steps needed to be taken:
1) Create a citizens energy cooperative completed
2) Find the most suitable plan for the energy autonomy of Sifnos completed
3) Conduct the studies required for permit by the competent Authority completed
4) Work out the financing scheme under development
5) Realize the project expected
- Gaining necessary knowledge for the Greek and European legislation on social entrepreneurship, the ways for energy production and storage, RES and electricity distribution networks and their evolution.
- Contacts with other European REScoops and the European Federation of RES Cooperatives, REScoop.eu, in which the community became a member in March 2014.
- The community participated in conferences and seminars throughout Europe on RES and ways of funding projects like ours, gaining valuable knowledge.
- The community organized awareness events and one international conference in Sifnos on “”ENERGY COOPERATIVES, how they can be promoted in the island regions of Greece”” (09/06/2014).
- The island and the effort of Sifnos Island Cooperative for the energy autonomy of the island from RES, was portrayed by REScoop.eu, the European Federation of RES Cooperatives as a global example, through the only video created by REScoop.eu so far, for the promotion of renewable energy worldwide.
- The community invited and presented the plan for the energy autonomy of the island in the European Parliament.